The Ventilator Project, a new non-profit startup located at MassRobotics in the Seaport district of Boston, is on a mission to construct a low-cost, universally accessible ventilator that can save the lives of Covid-19 and other patients of respiratory illnesses worldwide. Tyler Mantel, founder of Watertower Robotics, sought out to address the biggest problems with ventilators during the Covid-19 pandemic: the cost of ventilators, which can be upwards of $40,000 apiece, and the lack of parts to build them given the bottlenecks in the supply chain for medical grade parts. The Ventilator Project’s mission is thus to rapidly prototype, build and ship ventilators built from readily available parts at a fraction of the price ($5,000).
- Application of design-for-manufacturability (DFM) considerations to custom components (e.g. making a 3D printed prototype part injection-moldable for manufacture)
- Collaboration with Supply Chain and Manufacturing (SCM) division to source off-the-shelf components to meet outlined specifications
- Assessment of process and component lead times
- Creation and maintenance of Bills of Materials
- Development and input into manufacturing guides/manuals (alongside SCM)
- Bachelor’s degree or working towards Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical discipline from an accredited institution
- Initiative, intellectual flexibility and ability to learn on the fly
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and communicating design intent through technical drawings and documentation
- Familiarity with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
- Experience with computational analytical techniques (FEA, CFD)
- Topical understanding of control theory, including PID tuning
- Familiarity with a range of manufacturing techniques and the constraints they place on component and assembly design, including but not limited to sheet metal forming, injection molding, thermoforming, CNC milling and additive manufacturing
- Experience in medical device design/development
- Previous work experience in start-up companies/environments
The team comes from a diverse set of backgrounds and skill sets, but each of us share a common calling: we couldn’t continue to sit and wait. We knew it was time to step up and find a solution.
LOCATION: Boston, on-site
DISCLOSURE: Current on-site volunteers are working in an isolated office setting while practicing safe social distancing practices. We have gloves and masks readily available, and the office space is professionally cleaned several times throughout the week.
Please Apply Here: https://k7y.pl/s/uHULx