The Ventilator Project, a new non-profit startup located at MassRobotics in the Seaport district of Boston, is on a mission to construct a low-cost, universally accessible ventilator that can save the lives of Covid-19 and other patients of respiratory illnesses worldwide. Two robotics entrepreneurs, Tyler Mantel, Founder of Watertower Robotics, and Alex Frost, founder of Florabot, teamed up to directly address the biggest problems with ventilators during the Covid-19 pandemic: the cost of ventilators, which can be upwards of $40,000 apiece, and the lack of parts to build them given the bottlenecks in the supply chain for medical grade parts. The Ventilator Project’s mission is thus to rapidly prototype, build and ship ventilators built from readily available parts at a fraction of the price.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to join in the efforts of building industry-leading mechanical ventilators. Reporting to Co-Founder, Tyler Mantel, the Director of Engineering will assist in strategic planning and execution with engineering and product teams. S/he will directly manage a team of 5-10 onsite engineers and coordinate the efforts of another 15-25 engineers working remotely.
The immediate focus of the Director of Engineering will be to assist in aligning a number of departments in preparation for current and future product development. The focus will then shift to a longer-term roadmap and organizing the R&D capabilities accordingly.
This is an early stage non-profit startup with significant potential and an opportunity to change the world and save lives. We are looking for someone to be on-site to manage our team of engineers as we finish our current FDA applications, and prepare for future technology development. We follow all safety
protocols in our lab and offices.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the mechanical, electrical, and firmware teams
- Actively participate as a member of the TVP Product leadership teams
- Develop organization-level goals and drive the technical and organizational roadmap for the engineering team.
- Build and grow a team of exceptional software engineers and technical leaders
- Influence key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable, reliable, and cost-effective engineering solutions
- Participate in roadmap planning with the Product Management team
- 3+ years of engineering experience
- Background in hardware or robotics product development. Experience in developing medical devices is a big plus but not required.
- Agile experience required, and SAFe Agile experience preferred
- A strong desire to grow their skills as a leader, think different, and empower others
- Track record of delivery in rapidly changing, highly collaborative, multi-site, multi-stakeholder environments
- Someone who loves to learn, and is passionate about helping others.
- Proven-track record of bringing products to market and development from the conceptual phase to production.
- Ability to build and grow engineering orgs that are productive at scale and cultivate the right engineering culture.
- Comfortable with ambiguous and fast-paced environments.
- This individual will need to be in possession of a high level of self-motivation, coupled with a strong work ethic and the desire to build and grow an organization.
The team comes from a diverse set of backgrounds and skill sets, but each of us share a common calling: we couldn’t continue to sit and wait. We knew it was time to step up and find a solution.
Please apply here: https://k7y.pl/s/o7OAD